[antlr-interest] ANTLR v2,v3

Anders Karlsson anders at globe-trotter.us
Wed Aug 6 21:43:56 PDT 2008

Hi

Is there a detailed list with grammar changes from v2 to v3. I have one big 140K v2 grammar to convert and I am really struggling so it would help with such a list. I have the book ANTLR3 ref however there seems to be no helpful summary with the changes. e.g. in v2 you can write a:'t' to get an alias for 't' in v3 you have to write a='t' (if even true).

I am not so familiar with the v2 grammar and was hoping not having to learn that dialect first when converting.

Running the v2v3 just doesn't do it. The original grammar contains lots of sprinkled in C++ code and generates its own AST tree.

I have also noticed that the ANTRLWorks1.1.7 crashes when the grammar is big, it suddenly stops updating the screen. Is this a known problem? It happens when I do "Generate code".

TIA
Anders Karlsson.