[antlr-interest] bridging the gap

Foust javafoust at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 13:57:58 PDT 2008

jhking wrote:
> I have the "Definitive Guide..." book and have learned quite a bit from
> it.  What I'm looking for (and this may be a "how to parse" question not an ANTLR
> question
> is something more involved than the calc example that's explained.
> I'm an MIS not CS guy so never got formal parser/language generation
> training [...]
> I just need some kind of a "parsers for dummies" book to get me further along.

The Definitive Antlr Reference is that book. There are others that contain more theory, but they often concentrate on LR parsers and would take some time to digest.

If you've already absorbed the first few chapters of the DAR, then you might try looking at Terance's Mantra grammar for a more-involved example than the calc example. That illustrates both the parser, and the tree grammar for walking the parser output.

Brent