[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0.1: invalid character column in a mismatch character error message.

Raphael Reitzig r_reitzi at cs.uni-kl.de
Wed Aug 13 15:50:02 PDT 2008

Hi!

"Gavin Lambert" <antlr at mirality.co.nz> wrote (Wed Aug 13 22:19:07 2008):

> it's so critical to reporting decent error messages to the user.

Agree.

Personally, I really like error messages by javac. What do I care for
column or character count: Those messages _show_ me the error
position! (Kay mailed an excellent example)
So, if a parser error occurs, put k tokens from either side of the
error site in a String, remember which character position in _this_
String marks the defective character and put all that along with the
line number in the created exception. For an end user, this is all I
expect him to want.

Of course, if you want another program digest ANTLRs exceptions, that
won't suffice.

Regards

Raphael