[antlr-interest] ast or not...

Pady Srinivasan padysrini at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 29 09:59:28 PST 2008

Hi,

I am a beginner with antlr and dynamic languages. I am reading terence's
antlr book. The language I am trying to develop is a simple if-elseif
language and some actions based on that. This will be interpreted at run
time. There will be some input ( model objects ) to the parser and then
based on this data, the if/elseif conditions will be evaluated at runtime,
and then the actions executed - and some new model objects returned after
the actions. I dont have to emit any source code. So given this situation,
would I need to be developing an ast/tree grammer etc ? For simple
interpreted languages, is an ast/tree grammer etc really needed ? Can I just
do something like the expression parser with the actions as listed in
Terence's book ?

Thx

-- pady