[antlr-interest] Minor suggestion re. Java output

Guntis Ozols guntiso at latnet.lv
Sun Feb 3 16:57:55 PST 2008

> The Java target remains for the foreseeable future 1.4.
> Could do that only for C#, but for Java you are out of luck.
> As long people use 1.4 for projects, ANTLR can't easily move
> Johannes

I do not understand those people.
Do they develop their compilers on embedded devices?

You can use generics, enums, ... and still be compatible with java 1.4.
Please take a look at retroweaver - http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/
and reconsider 'foreseeable future'.

I've used retroweaver 1.1 back in 2005 successfully on a project with
thousands of classes (back then, I had to fix it and submitted a patch).
Now it's 2008, version 2.0.3 is out, it should be pretty good.

Guntis