[antlr-interest] Tree Construction - DOT operator

Adrian Sanchez eyboy.sanchez at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 22:19:51 PST 2008

Hi guys,

I’m just new to Antlr (just started studying it last week)
and I want to ask for your help.  I’m trying to learn about tree construction/tree
parsing and was stumped with this problem.

See, I’m trying to create an AST from the following rules
(this is based on the Python grammar in the antlr site):

primary : atom (trailer)*;

trailer : '.' ID  //e.g. Rect1.Width”;

args : ID (',' ID)*;

I was wondering how I could represent the AST for
primary.  I was thinking of something like:

1.
->  atom
             //if
there is no trailer

2.
->  ^(GETMEMBER atom ID)  //if
there is a trailer

This sounds like a pretty simple and common scenario so I’m
sure you guys can help.  Thanks.