[antlr-interest] Removing global backtracking

Andreas Bartho andreas.bartho at inf.tu-dresden.de
Sat Feb 9 14:16:42 PST 2008

Hello,

inspired by the recent discussion about global backtracking I tried to
remove global backtracking from my grammar. My plan was to enable
backtracking for each rule individually, then turn global backtracking
off and try to disable individual backtracking for one rule at a time to
identify the rules that cause problems.
However, this does not work. ANTLR reports for a number of rules that
multiple alternatives can match a given input (even for rules that have
only one alternative).
Isn't global backtracking and local backtracking for each rule supposed
to be equivalent? If not, how do they differ?
I tried version 3.01 and the latest intermediate built.

Andreas