[antlr-interest] Tree grammar code gen problem

Bill Andersen andersen at ontologyworks.com
Wed Feb 13 07:55:45 PST 2008

Folks,

I'm doing my first ANTLR (3) tree grammar and am running into a
problem with generated Java code.  The grammar is a tree grammar meant
to output another AST.

The grammar file options look like:

options {
	language=Java;
	tokenVocab=NFL;
	output=AST;
	TokenLabelType=CommonToken;
	ASTLabelType=CommonTree;
}

Some sample generated Java code I'm seeing looks like this:

protected TreeAdaptor adaptor = new CommonTreeAdaptor();

public final term_return term() throws RecognitionException {
         term_return retval = new term_return();
         retval.start = input.LT(1);

         CommonTree root_0 = null;

         CommonTree QSTRING1=null;

Later in this method I'm seeing

         QSTRING1_tree = (CommonTree)adaptor.create(QSTRING1);

But TreeAdaptor.create has only one one-arg version and that is
supposed to take a Token.

Any idea what's going on?  I admit I don't have much experience with
this, but I've looked on the web and in the ANTLR 3 book with no
luck.  Any help appreciated!

	.billl