[antlr-interest] Why cant += be used without an "output=" option (and other Q's)

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Sun Feb 17 19:35:38 PST 2008

That is what the tree adaptor is for. It will build anything you like,
all you do is supply a class that supplies that interface so that the
rewrite rules have something to call, what you do after that is up to
you. You are trying to solve problems that have already been solved and
I think you need to gather a little more knowledge before you run off at
tangents and telling people how to write the tool and web site.

> > impression that ANTLR was suitable for what you wanted.
>  From what you said, ANTLR is suitable for what I want, in theory just
> not in practices. But saying that the major use profile is something
> else would have bean a huge hit as to my problems. I tend to be a
> minimalist when learning things. I learn the absolute minimum I can to
> get started and then learn stuff as I need it to do what I need. If
> something about ANTLR being designed to generate AST building code had
> bean on the front page (or there abouts) I would have gone and looked
> for that info rather than skip it because I didn't see how I needed
it.

Well, that's fine, but if the tool does not seem to do what you want
because you have not read something yet, then you should neither
complain too vehemently, nor assume that you are correct in your
assumptions, until you have looked further than the front page of the
web site. The front page of the web site would have to be very large
indeed to cover everything that everyone thinks should be on it, hence
the search box is on the front page.

I presume, from scanning your posts, that this minimalist philosophy
also applies, to your spilling, grammer, dickshun and mannurs :-) ? In
this case I think that what you have assumed to be the minimal knowledge
is not quite enough.

Jim