[antlr-interest] More, Status of C++ backend?

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Wed Jan 2 06:06:54 PST 2008

At 19:43 2/01/2008, Luke A. Guest wrote:
 >I have to say that it really does make sense to have the C++
 >sources depend on the C sources. i.e. for the C++ to use the
 >C string sources is fine IMO. I mean what would be the point
 >in rewriting the string code specifically for C++?

Well, inheritance can be represented a bit cleaner in C++.

But in the end it doesn't make a lot of difference.  Either way
there's going to be duplication (even if only interface
duplication to create C++ wrapper classes).

But I think that the C++ runtime should end up looking almost
identical to the Java runtime (both for familiarity and ease of
maintenance), whereas the C runtime necessarily has to be
significantly different since the language has no syntactic
support for OOP.