[antlr-interest] Inputs for grammar composition

Tim Tautges tautges at engr.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 11 07:39:44 PDT 2008

Hi all,
   I'm investigating creating a domain-specific language (for working
with mesh-based data for scientific computing).  Ideally this language
would include both domain-specific stuff, as well as pre-packaged sets
of rules for common sets of operations, e.g. arithmetic or set-theoretic
expressions.  This looks a lot like what Terrance Parr describes in his
article on grammar reuse, where in his terms, I'm "cobbling together" my
domain-specific grammar from these pieces.  So, question is, are there
any repositories of these small sets of operations?  (I think of them as
sub-grammars, though this term is used differently in Parr's article.)
The grammars listed on the ANTLR web site all seem to be much
higher-level.  I suspect I could find most of what I needed by cutting
and pasting out of one or more of those, but a finer-grained packaging
of these sets would be easier (read Parr's article, which IMO describes
the benefits pretty clearly).

- tim

         (tjtautges at wisc.edu)       (telecommuting from UW-Madison)
         phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.
           fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706