[antlr-interest] Translating from one language to another

Aaron Maxwell amax at redsymbol.net
Mon Jul 21 15:04:35 PDT 2008

On Monday 21 July 2008 12:54:01 pm David Tauzell wrote:
> I'm not sure what is the best way to proceed.  Should I somehow use
> StringTemplate?  Should I walk the AST and generate output? Is this
> question to vague? Do I just need to buy the ANTLR book and learn more
> about ANTLR?

I'm pretty new at using parser generators in general and antlr in particular,
and you may want to listen if someone more experienced responds.  But for
what it's worth, I recommend buying the new "Definitive ANTLR reference"
book, which I have been reading the past week.

ANTLR is a complex enough tool that it takes time to learn to use it well.
It's pretty clear that the book has saved me a lot of time by teaching the
essential theory and practical information much more quickly than I could
figure it out from the online docs, trial and error, etc.

Your question is a good example: it's not really a short answer question, but
the book is good at relatively quickly helping you decide what the best
approach is and how to go about implementing the solution.

--
Aaron Maxwell
http://redsymbol.net