[antlr-interest] we need a name for a new rewriting tool

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Tue Jul 22 13:44:31 PDT 2008

And Tom? (<http://tom.loria.fr/>)

> You'll be able to say things like "whenever you see x+0 in an IF
> expression, rewrite it to x":
>
> ---------------------
> rewrite Java; // applies rewrite rules to external java grammar
> tokens {
> 	x=ID;
> }
>
> [ifstat ... expr]:
> 	"x+0" -> "x"
> 	"0+x" -> "x"
> ---------------------
>
> It is going to be extremely cool and will also work for tree
> rewrites.

Where might one learn more about the details of what you're planning?

Rewriting (the need to support it in my current project) is something
between a hobby-horse and bug-bear with me these days. I've not been
able to find anyting compelling and the need has never been quite
pressing enough for me to embark on an effort to develop a sufficiently
sophisticated system of my own.

So I'm intrigued at the possibility that what you'll be working on might
fill a long-standing (if not pressing) need of mine. If so, I might be
able to lend a hand in some way.

> Ter

Randall Schulz