[antlr-interest] Can a lexer rule have user defined attributes?

Jan van Mansum janvanmansum at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 02:24:35 PDT 2008

Hello group,

I am afraid I already now the answer: no. I tried the following grammar:

grammar TestAttributes;

r returns [int x, int y]    :    ID {System.out.println($ID.rv);}
    ;

ID returns [int rv]
    :    'a'..'z'+ {$rv = 3;}

    ;

If I check the grammar in AntlrWorks it accepts it, but the generated lexer
code cannot be compiled because ID is a Token and not an ID_return instance.
In fact there is not ID_return class generated.

My questions:
- Why does the grammar check out as correct?
- Why can lexer rules not have user defined attributes?

Thanks for any help,

regards,

--
Jan van Mansum