[antlr-interest] Getting started with Java target?

Kevin Kelley kkelley at adobe.com
Mon Jun 9 12:44:07 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I can¹t help but feel like there¹s something really obvious that I¹m missing
here, but I¹m driving myself ragged, so I figured I¹d ask.

I have used ANTLRworks (which is nice, by the way) to generate a Java lexer
and parser, and have gotten that code and the ANTLR runtime JAR into a
project of mine.  What I want to do now is to get the tree produced by the
parser.  Unfortunately, the ³how to use the Java runtime² section of the
website is incomplete, and all the examples I can Google my way to seem to
be for ANTLR 2 or to have other problems.

I have a parser, and am giving it the token stream from the lexer and then
invoking the method corresponding to the root rule on the parser, which
presumably parses the token stream.  I think what I want to get out of the
parser is an ³org.antler.runtime.tree.CommonTree² or something similar‹but I
can¹t for the life of me figure out how to get the tree out of the parser.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kevin