[antlr-interest] ANTLR3 Maven2 plugin, strange errors

David Holroyd dave at badgers-in-foil.co.uk
Thu Jun 26 08:45:47 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 07:02:19PM +0200, Jeroen Steenbeeke wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I am currently in the process of generating the source for a Tree
> Grammar for Java (basically Dieter Habelitz' grammar with my own
> processing stuff added in code blocks).
>
> When using the command line or when running the generation through Ant
> (with <java> tasks) everything works out fine, but for some reason I
> can't get it to work with the ANTLR3 plugin for Maven2.
>
> I've added the pom.xml file and Maven's output as attachments. For some
> reason the ANTLR plugin manages to get into an infinite recursion that
> causes OutOfMemoryErrors. I've tried increasing the available heapspace
> with the -Xmx JVM option but to no avail - the generator simply freezes
> even with over 1GB of heap space.
>
> What could be causing these problems? Is Maven perhaps using an
> incorrect version of ANTLR?
>
> Or would it be better to simply report this as a bug to the Maven2
> plugin developers?

It would possibly be more correct to ask on the Mojo users mailing list,
but I am subscribed to this list too.

The maven plugin uses ANTLR 3.0.1, as found over here,

  http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/antlr/antlr/3.0.1/

I'll try and have a look at the problem.  Would it be possible for you
to send me the actual grammar?

ta,
dave

--