[antlr-interest] lexer woes

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Wed Mar 5 00:09:41 PST 2008

At 11:35 5/03/2008, Loring Craymer wrote:
 >> 1) Whether backtracking mode is supported for lexers,
 >1.)  Yes--see calls to prefixWithSynPred() in antlr.g

I think that answer is a little misleading :)

As far as I know, the "backtrack=true" option has no effect in the
lexer.  However, backtracking in general is supported through
adding your own syntactic predicates.

Note that syntactic predicates can only be used to disambiguate
between alts in a single rule -- you can't use them to distinguish
between tokens at the top level.  (If you need to do that, you'll
have to merge the rules.)