[antlr-interest] A postmortem of my use of antler

Benjamin Shropshire shro8822 at vandals.uidaho.edu
Mon Mar 10 14:42:51 PDT 2008

Mark Mandel wrote:
> Honestly,
>
> With the amount of help that is available through this mailing list,
> it pretty much cancels out any deficiencies that may or may not exist
> in the documentation.

Some people will accept or reject a program on the docs. They will
decide whether or not the product is suitable before there even try the
help system. Some people will only ever use the docs. I have no
evidence, but I suspect that most of the people who look at and then
don't uses antlr do both steps an about 5-10 minutes and you never hear
from them at all.

>  I had never worked on a Lexer or a Parser before,

That might actually be a benefit. From what I have seen, antlr doesn't
work quite like a normal lexer/parser generator and the differences,
while hugely important, aren't well highlighted.

>  but I
> did have to look outside ANTLR's documentation to do it, and I don't
> think that is unreasonable.

I'm not talking only about the official docs. Even the other resources
don't do much better IMHO.

> I actually bought the book * after * I had used ANTLR for quite a
> while, and all I can say is that it is an incredible resource.
>
> Now, I have to assume as well, you're offering to help write all this
> missing documentation? It is a Wiki after all, so I expect that after
> this post you'll be quite active?

No, actually this is more a "why I don't expect to be using antlr any
more" e-mail. I don't really expect anything to change. I'm passing on
what made antler hard for me to use, what would have made it easier and
hoping that future work on the docs will take it into account.

Truth be told, I really have no more reason to care. The only place I
might be using antlr, it will only get used if it can be made to work
with under about 25 LOC: grab antlr, grab a complete C grammar with AST
output, write a main() that parses a file and prints
ReturnedAST.toString(). All told, I might spend another hour tops
working with antlr in the next few. years.