[antlr-interest] PHP AST Grammar

Andy Tripp antlr at jazillian.com
Tue Mar 11 11:10:58 PDT 2008

Adam Cooney wrote:
> Hey,
> I've been searching for a grammar for PHP that can build ASTs and so
> far have come up with nothing for ANTLR (in fact, nothing at all
> related to PHP). However, I did find a program called PHC which
> contains a php grammar I am thinking of attempting to convert to
> ANTLR, but was wondering if anyone has attempted to build a PHP AST
> grammar before or has a PHP grammar.

I'd love to see a USF compiler course have a final project in which each
student gets assigned one of the "top 20"
languages and must write an AST-producing ANTLR3 grammar for it. Here's
my "top 20" list:

ANTLR v3 (get the current one working)
Java
C#
C++  (be sure this one goes to the smartest kid in the class :)
PHP
python
perl
ruby
javascript
html
COBOL (to the most annoying person in class, or anyone over 50)
FORTRAN
Scheme
bash/ksh/sh
SQL