[antlr-interest] starting with language translation

benzo benzofurans-mail001 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 04:48:23 PDT 2008

hi
this is my first post - thus "hello world!"

I'm interested in antlr since a long time and I finally like to make
an attempt with it.
What I'd like to achieve is to write a translator in form of "java to
actionscript".

>From what I understand there are basically 4 layers/modules/steps involved:
1. parse of the source language (java)
2. persist/serialize the structure
4. apply the translation rules
5. generate the  the target language (actionscript)

some questions to these points:

1. are there any existing java language parser (java grammar), maybe
even with some (basic) documentation (tutorials, etc.)
2. what do you suggest: writing the structure down to xml? persist in memory?
4. are there any good examples for doing that the right (clean) way?
5. what is your personal favorite way doing that? stringtemplate? are
there simpler methods?

thanks in advance for your answers.

//benzo