[antlr-interest] C# Target Poll

Johannes Luber JALuber at gmx.de
Sun May 18 16:06:57 PDT 2008

> At 01:51 19/05/2008, Johannes Luber wrote:
>  >Beyound that were only the mentioned addition of debug
> interfaces
>  >to the normal parser (to allow one driver program handle both
>  >kinds of generation without resorting to manual editing or
>  >preprocessor tricks, even if using the debug option for normal
>  >parsers is ignored - but no one commented on that yet)
>
> I'm not sure how useful that would be.  Generally the debug
> interfaces are only consumed by ANTLRworks, and the driver for
> doing debugging work will generally look completely different from
> the driver for doing "real" work.  I guess it would mean you
> wouldn't have to write a little throwaway program to do the
> debugging with, but I don't think that's a big hardship.  I'd
> rather not have the non-debug interfaces get cluttered up.

While I was working on defuting your point, I recognized that with subclassing the driver the code duplication can be removed easily for debug drivers. IMO, debug drivers need to provide the full range of options for testing purposes anyway. That still leaves the following issue <http://www.antlr.org:8888/browse/ANTLR-265>. Any ideas how to solve this?

>  >and using LINQ if I find places were this is sensible.
>
> AFAIK, you can't use LINQ without forcing .NET 3.5 as a
> requirement, which seems like too much of a jump.

Probably. I have to wait for 3.2 before I could introduce LINQ anyway. Maybe the situation is different then.

>  >I had the inspiration that the only difference between .NET 2
> and
>  >.NET 3.5 is that .NET 3.5 has some additional libraries and
>  >programs targetted for .NET 3.5 can work on .NET 2, if they
> ignore
>  >the additional capabilities.
>
> Which you're not doing, if you use LINQ.  It's safe to use new
> features of the *compiler* (eg. lambdas, 'var's, and I think
> extension methods as well); that will retain 2.0
> compatibility.  But LINQ requires library support.

Even LINQ to Objects?

Johannes