[antlr-interest] Java Grammar and how to use it to create a script language to my app

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Sun Nov 2 16:35:01 PST 2008

On Sunday 02 November 2008 15:40, me tk82c wrote:
> Hello Randal!
>
>    I agree with you, but my problem is because this "new language"
> must run on our windows mobile and java micro edition apps.

>    ANTLR is a good way? There is any solution out of box that i can
> just get and use it to improve later without have to learn all about
> ANTLR?

Probably.

However, it's important to realize that ANTLR "only" helps create
syntactic recognizers. There is much more to  writing language
interpreters than merely performing syntax analysis. I've only resorted
to YACC, Bison, JavaCC, ANTLR, etc. when I didn't dictate the language
I had to accept. When I do, I've preferred to use S-Expressions. I
wrote a Common Lisp reader for Java (complete with programmable reader
macros and other CL fluff), and I generally use it as the starting
point when I want an extension language.

From the philosophical perspective, it's just that the creation of
entirely new languages should be viewed as something that demands a
specific justification. The world (i.e., users; i.e., humans) do _not_
require more languages! They want to use the ones they already know!

> Get a already implemented grammar will help and save the day? If
> so could you give the way to use it?

How is that possible? We know nothing about your application's domain!
Nothing about what you need to accomplish with a scripting / extension
language. There are no generic solutions. (Except, of course, for
S-Expressions...)

Languages are all about what you want to allow its "speakers" to be able
to say and what you want to make succinct.

> Thanks!
>
> tk

Randall Schulz