[antlr-interest] Lexer rule with alternatives (Newbie question)

Johannes Luber jaluber at gmx.de
Sat Nov 22 08:26:12 PST 2008

Петров Александр schrieb:
> Hello,
> why such grammar doesn't work properly:
> expr	:
>         operand ((oper) operand)*
>       	;
> //Correct operands
> operand	:
> 	INT
> 	;
> OPER: ('+'|'-'|'*'|'/')
> 	;
> INT	:
> 	('0'..'9')+
> 	;
>> t+1
> line 0:3 mismatched input '+' expecting EOF
>
> But if I replace the Lexer rule by Parser rule:
>
> oper: ('+'|'-'|'*'|'/');
>
> All work as it should. Why I should't use Lexer rule with alternatives ?

The problem with your example is that in the expr rule you use oper, but
define OPER as rule. Did you overlook this while posting or does even

expr	:
         operand (OPER operand)*
       	;

not work? Nonetheless, the usual way to define operands is to create a
single rule for each operand and reference those lexer rules in a single
parser rule for convenience. As "oper: ('+'|'-'|'*'|'/');" creates
implicit lexer rules doing it this way simulates the described approach,
but there can be problems as '+' used in to different rules will create
two distinct token types which will cause a MismatchedTokenTypeException
later.

Johannes