[antlr-interest] ANTLR installation/use on Unix

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Sat Nov 29 09:46:43 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 21:28 -0600, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

> Hi Terence et al,
>
> Am I just getting old, or shouldn't I be able to (in a More Ideal World(tm),
> of course) do something like this on a Unix-like box?:
>
> $ cd antlr-src-distro-dir/
> $ make install
> $ antlr --version

Well, ANTLR is a Java tool, so make install only works for the C runtime
distribution (after a ./configure).

The ANTLR source can be bult from scratch now using maven though:

1) In stall Maven 2.0.9 or better;
2) Find the directories with pom.xml in them
3) cd to them and type: mvn
4) Look at the output of the build to see where the .jar files go if are
not familiar with Maven.

Note that the Maven build, as well as constructing the ANTLR .jar file
also creates a complete executable (I.e Java -jar) jar file that
includes all the dependencies  to make things easier for developers.

However, there is also a continuous build system at:
http://antlr.org:8888/hudson/ where you can just download the up to the
minute builds of everything in the ANTLR domain. Unless you are hacking
it yourself, there should be no need to build ANTLR basically.

See the C Runtime API (linked from teh main home page) if you mean that
you want to build the C runtime.

Jim