[antlr-interest] ANTLR installation/use on Unix

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Sun Nov 30 12:00:32 PST 2008

At 06:55 1/12/2008, Jim Idle wrote:
>All you need is the composite jar and:
>
>#! /bin/bash
>java -jar whereverthejaris.jar $*

Plus the knowledge that this is how you actually get it to run :)

>With make install, you have to detect the java install, find the
>dependencies, it only works on *nix etc. Generic installers are a
>lot more work and maintaining a configure script for this does
>not seem worth it to me - it is Ter's call in the end though.

He does have a good point, though.  ANTLR ought to come with
prepackaged shell scripts and batch files that take care of the
classpath / command line issues, so that users who don't want to
know about that sort of thing (like me, and apparently him) don't
have to.