[antlr-interest] Reusing the text editor in ANTLRworks

Marco Hunsicker devel at hunsicker.de
Mon Oct 6 12:47:33 PDT 2008

Hello Aaron,

> While I was working, I realized how solid and
> full-featured the grammar editor is in ANTLRworks.
>
> Now I'm trying to reuse that component as my SQL editor component.
>
> Is there any precedent for this? Can anyone comment on whether or not it's a
> good idea to try, and if it is a good idea,

It's definitely possible and feasible to re-use the ANTLRWorks editor
component in your own project. It's still quite a bit of work to extract
the interesting pieces and add highlighting support for your target
language.

You therefore might be better off with a ready-to-use editor component.
I'm only aware of two specific components. Both have support for SQL.

http://code.google.com/p/jsyntaxpane/ APL 2.0
http://fifesoft.com/rsyntaxtextarea/  LGPL

Cheers,

Marco