[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.1.1 test failures

Hartmuth Gutsche hgutsche at storm.ca
Mon Oct 20 20:13:33 PDT 2008

I finally continued to investigate and found the following issues with the
tests:
Environment is W2K using Eclipse. Java SDK 6

a) For those using Eclipse. One has to set the "PATH" variable explicitly to
the directory where javac.exe resides in the run configuration for JUNIT.

b) a few cases are caused by the problem described below. Some expected
texts contain explicitly "\n" while the test result generated uses the
system value for "newline" which is "\r\n" on Windows. The subsequent
comparison consequently fails.

c) In a few cases the grammar text contains '\n' where '\\n' is meant, which
generates a line break instead of a '\n' in the generated T.g file.

d) In some places (e.g. testAttributes) some tests report errors with data
that stem from the previous test executed. The reason is that BaseTest.setUp
should contain the statement ErrorManager.removeErrorListener() (the way I
fixed it). Otherwise reported errors/warnings are not removed from
ErrorManager before the next test is executed.

e) Many cases of  TestCharDFAConversion( and in other test, too, e.g.
TestIntervalSet) fail because the expected value is \uFFFE instead of the
returned value \uFFFF. Probably caused by making \uFFFF a valid character.

f) In many cases the expected results differ in the sequence of the textual
elements. This seems to be caused by comparing results contained in "map"
objects with an expected sequence.

I guess not many run those tests on Windows. Hope it helps somewhere.

Hartmuth