[antlr-interest] [stringtemplate-interest] StringTemplate editing in Visual Studio

Sam Harwell sharwell at pixelminegames.com
Tue Oct 21 08:47:13 PDT 2008

I'm using a barely-modified group.g3 in my C# StringTemplate 3.2 port,
and the colorizer uses it directly. As I was mentioning on my blog, the
key to using ANTLR lexers in a syntax highlighter making sure the lexer
can cleanly handle *any* single line of source without context other
than a single integer used for marking the state at the beginning of a
line.

I'm working on a framework for automatic handling of island grammars in
this kind of line-by-line lexer, at which point I'll be able to
arbitrarily highlight any tokens of the StringTemplate sub-grammars.
You'll have to write your own highlighter since it won't be in Visual
Studio, but I can detail some of the method once it's up and running.

Since many lexers use few (if any) actions, we've had remarkable success
getting new syntax highlighters up and running. Once I had the
StringTemplate C# port running, it took less than 2hrs to build the
syntax highlighter as it sits now.

Sam