[antlr-interest] The ~ operator in lexer rules

Matthieu Riou matthieu at offthelip.org
Wed Sep 17 21:51:54 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to write a grammar where 2.3 would be a float style number but
where the same group of characters in foo.2.3 would be recognized as two
distinct numbers (like foo[2][3]). I changed my number lexer rule to be:

NUM       : ~'.' DIGIT+ ('.' DIGIT+)? ;

However this doesn't seem to work, strangely expressions like [2,3,4] get
rejected with a no viable alternative at input ',3'. Does someone have a
clue why and how I should tweak my rules to do what I want?

Thanks,
Matthieu