[antlr-interest] what's in a name?

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Thu Aug 27 14:26:47 PDT 2009

On Aug 27, 2009, at 2:07 PM, Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:
> Three words is a great idea, but I'd sooner see another book later
> that really *is* about designing DSLs, and there'd be concept
> confusion with titles.

that is true; unfortunately I'm not really qualified to write that
book ;)  Well, not if we're talking about programming languages too.

> It's awkward. Language Design Patterns is a little snappier than
> Design Patterns for Language Implementation, I'll admit,

yup. snappy is good :)

> and replacing language with more implementations-specific words like
> "parser" is bad as it changes the emphasis to sound like it's about
> ANTLR "under the hood". Of course, there's always that word - ANTLR.
>
> Seriously, ANTLR Design Patterns, and then a subtitle much as you've
> already mentioned.

yeah, trying to make it as general as possible.

> Sure, people won't be as likely to pick it up if they're not aware
> of ANTLR, but not many who pick it up will fail to put it down if
> they don't know of ANTLR anyway, unless you sell it differently. The
> only sort of book that sold ANTLR to non-ANTLR-aware-people would be
> a real newbie-level type thing introducing all of the concepts in
> tutorial fashion (like the difference between O'Reilly 'Learning ~'
> books and '~ in a Nutshell' books - ANTLR Reference is like a
> Nutshell). Of course, now I'm selling a concept for a third book...

I'm not sure about this. There is a giant hole in the market sitting
between the Dragon book and a number of language implementation books
that use scheme instead of a language programmers use everyday.
people can use this without ANTLR no problem. As I point out in the
book, when you were learning to fly there's no choice but to pick an
airplane. Later you can transfer your skills easily to another aircraft.

> So I think ANTLR Design Patterns - Techniques and Strategies for
> Language Implementation. Add "Domain Specific" before "Language" if
> the publishers are so keen on the buzzwords. Where do you draw the
> line on a DSL anyway?

a tough question. yeah, making titles is really really hard.