[antlr-interest] what's in a name?

Natan nvivo.misc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 06:45:08 PDT 2009

Terence Parr wrote:
> The confusion is that the current title can be seen as about lang
> design.  We could do Lang Impl Patterns, but Kent Beck has a Impl
> Patterns book now that is totally different concept.
>
> Publisher wants DSL in there somewhere.  Any ideas about title/subtitle?

I remember that discussion from the publisher website where that guy was
asking: "Does this really teach us how to create a language?".
After that question I started to ask myself the same question, as the
book isn't exactly what it sounds.

I would go with something with "Language Recognition Patterns" or
"Language Parsing Patterns". Yes, its not as catchy as "Design
Patterns", but the book isn't really about designing languages anyway.
Also, it relates to ANTLR and what it does without adding "ANTLR" to the
title, as you don't want it to be tool specific.

I don't think that DSL should go anywhere in the title or subtitle,
since the techniques there can be applied to anything.