[antlr-interest] Confusion about the AST that ANTLRworks 1.3.1 displays during a debugger session

Bob Anderson bob.anderson at centurytel.net
Mon Dec 14 21:18:47 PST 2009

I'm trying to build an AST that has extraneous tokens removed.  But whether
or not I use a rewrite rule, ANTLRworks always shows me an AST with every
token in it.  Is that normal ANTLRworks behavior, or am I missing some
directive?

Below is a snippet of the grammar...

options
{
  language = CSharp2; // CSharp2 targets .Net 2.0  (as opposed to CSharp
which targets .Net 1.1)
  output   = AST;
}

prog    : stat+ ;

// The following statements produce the same AST display in ANTLRworks...

stat    : 'showInt'  '('  STRING ','  expr ')'  // All tokens expected to be
in the AST

stat    : 'showInt'  '('  STRING ','  expr ')'  ->  ^( 'showInt'  STRING
expr )  // Token suppression via rewrite

stat    : 'showInt'  '('! STRING ','! expr ')'! // Another way to suppress
tokens

Input is:  showInt ( "an int: " , (67 * 98) mod 7 )