[antlr-interest] Debug issues

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Wed Feb 4 13:49:39 PST 2009

Dennis Brothers wrote:
> I may be (probably am) missing something, but I think the debugging
> experience could be improved a bit.
>
> On my system (Vista under Bootcamp and Fusion on a MacBook Pro, C#
> target), the default debug port (49153?) seems to be in use by some
> other process - possibly Outlook, from a quick Google search.  To
> change the port in the generated parser, you need to hand a port
> number to the constructor of a debug-enabled parser.  _But_, a non-
> debug parser doesn't have a constructor with that signature, so you
> have to edit your code whenever you switch debugging on or off.
>
> It would be good if the non-debug parser accepted (and ignored) the
> port number, or if the debug port could be specified some other way -
> possibly by being able to put something like -debug:1234 on the
> command line.
>
> Am I missing something?

We are currently out of step a bit on the port number thing I think.

We tried to decide on a port number that did not clash in Vista but I
think that somehow we ended up back with the port number that clashed
even though we all agreed to change it ;-). I'll make a note to remember
to sort this out with Jean and Ter and the other target guys before
3.1.2. Changing the default port is trivial, but has to be coordinated
of course.

Jim