[antlr-interest] Problem when parsing numerics

Thomas Woelfle thomas.woelfle at interactive-objects.com
Tue Feb 17 23:51:02 PST 2009

Hi Jim,

thanks for the tip. This lexer grammar for floating points is quite
impressive and answers some interesting questions to me. But it did not
solve my problem. Using the toekn rule 'FLOATING_POINT_LITERAL' in my
grammar results in the same MismatchedTokenException. My adjusted
grammar is:

foo     :     FLOATING_POINT_LITERAL '.';

where "FLOATING_POINT_LITERAL" is the rule from your example.

Parsing the input string "1.5." results in a MismatchedTokenException.
Any idea what is going wrong?

Regards,
Thomas
> Thomas Woelfle wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been running into a strange problem using ANTLR 3.1.1. I don't know
>> wether it is a bug in my grammar or a bug in ANTLR.
>> In the language that has to be parsed following lines are legal strings:
>>
>> 1.
>> 1.5.
>>
>> There is a rule where a numeric is followed by a dot.
>>

> Please look in the FAQ/examples:
>
> http://www.antlr.org/wiki/display/ANTLR3/Lexer+grammar+for+floating+point%2C+dot%2C+range%2C+time+specs
>
> You should be able to simplify the grammar here to just what you need.
>
> Jim

Interactive Objects Software GmbH
Basler Strasse 61
79100 Freiburg, Germany

Phone:  +49 761 400 73 0
mailto:thomas.woelfle at interactive-objects.com

Interactive Objects' Legacy Modernization Solutions

Get Your Applications SOA-Ready!

See http://www.interactive-objects.com/ for more information.