[antlr-interest] request for comments on language implementation

Andy Tripp antlr at jazillian.com
Wed Feb 25 07:58:39 PST 2009

Hi Michael,
Jiffle looks very cool!

A quick "how to compile and run demos" document would be nice.

Now that you've implemented AST rewrites via ANTLR, I'm curious about whether
you're happy with what you have or whether you think it would have
been easier to implement by just manipulating the ASTs "by hand"
(i.e. just manipulate the tree structure in you Java code the way you
would if ANTLR treewalkers didn't exist).

Here's my take on the issue:
http://www.antlr2.org/article/1170602723163/treewalkers.html

I can see already you're no longer a neophyte - I would bet that what you're
doing is more complicated than most usages of ANTLR.

A small guide to the code would be nice - just explaining how the code is structured
and maybe an example showing what each of the AST-transform steps is doing.

One issue that comes up occasionally is grammar inheritance.
For example, you have the exact same definition of expr_op in several of
your .g files. So you might want to look into that.

Proving an ant build.xml would be nice.
And, uhhh, what happened to Morph2.g and Morph3.g?  :)

Andy