[antlr-interest] Java Parser to analyze C++ language syntax

Andy Tripp antlr at jazillian.com
Fri Feb 27 13:27:33 PST 2009

Kaleb Pederson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:06 PM, SSG JJV <virtuoso.coders at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes. But David's parser outputs C++ parser. I need a Java Parser to validate
>> C++ language syntax.
>> Thanks
>
> It looks as if LLVM now has capable and stable C++ support:
>
> LLVM includes "Front-ends for C and C++ based on the GCC 3.4 and 4.0.1
> parsers. They support the ANSI-standard C and C++ languages to the
> same degree that GCC supports them. Additionally, many GCC extensions
> are supported" [1].
>
> I've followed some of their progress and architecture and I believe it
> would be a good starting point.

But it looks like your parser needs to be written in C++ to use LLVM, no?
And the wikipedia entry only mentions a front-end for parsing Java byte code,
with no mention of parsing Java source code (other than saying one could
be developed). Is there a Java source code frontend for LLVM in development?

Andy