[antlr-interest] ST feature proposal

Graham Wideman gwlist at grahamwideman.com
Thu Jul 9 19:19:17 PDT 2009

Hi Ter,

Idea looks attractive to me. Comments:

> Perhaps we need another special symbol that means
> allow me to do a newline and it didn't the next line,
> but don't put it into the output.

"it didn't"  probably = "indent"?

So basically, the double-backslash expression means ignore subsequent whitespace that matches some pattern, probably:

    [space or tab]* newline [space or tab]*

... or did you intend more like:

    [space or tab or newline]*

...following which could be another expression, or non-whitespace string.

Issue: Might there be occasions where you actually want to retain a space before what follows, and if so what do you do about that? I'm not *sure* this is a problem, just noting it.

Perhaps could have optional space suffixed to the double-backslash expression?

Ie:
<\\>  vs
<\\ >

My 2 cents