[antlr-interest] Legal Document Parsing. Can ANTLR help?

"Paul Bouché (NSN)" paul.bouche at nsn.com
Wed Jul 15 06:32:08 PDT 2009

I think you should run ANTLR in scanner mode (I think this is what it is
called, that means only input you specify is parsed and other input is
ignored).

Marco Bagni schrieb:
> HI,
>
> I have the need to perform a syntactical parsing of various legal documents
> with the result to identify and extract each article and sub-paragraph.
>
> The documents are text like:
>
> Act. 123 Bla Bla Bla
>
> Art. 1
> (Article title)
>
> Article body with sub paragraph (at most three levels of sub
> paragraph identified by numbers (1, 2, 3...) and letters (a, b,
> c...) and roman literals (i, ii, iii, vi, etc.)
>
> Unfortunately the real life is a bit tougher than this, i.e. in some
> documents you have the string Art. in others Article; sometimes the
> Article title is present sometimes not, and so on.
>
> Do you think that ANTLR can help in generating a parser that identifies
> and extracts the parts of the legal documents labelling  each part with
> the proper hierarchical structure?
>
> So far I am doing a prototype in PERL but taking into account all the
> possible variations that can be found in the plethora of documents I have
> to "ingest" it seems a quite cumbersome activity to code all the
> exceptions.
>
> Thanks for your support.
>
> Regards
>
> Marco Bagni

Paul Bouché
Voice: +49 30 590080-1284

Nokia Siemens Networks GmbH & Co. KG, An den Treptowers 1, 12435 Berlin, Germany
Sitz der Gesellschaft: München / Registered office: Munich
Registergericht: München / Commercial registry: Munich, HRA 88537
WEEE-Reg.-Nr.: DE 52984304

Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin / General Partner: Nokia Siemens Networks Management GmbH
Geschäftsleitung / Board of Directors: Lydia Sommer, Olaf Horsthemke
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of supervisory board: Lauri Kivinen
Sitz der Gesellschaft: München / Registered office: Munich
Registergericht: München / Commercial registry: Munich, HRB 163416