[antlr-interest] how to safe space - small comment on book "Language Design Patterns"

Edwards, Waverly Waverly.Edwards at genesys.com
Wed Jun 24 08:55:01 PDT 2009

I would disagree with you.  I find the references a very strong benefit.
The pattern references give you a pivot point to go check something out if
you find it interesting or maybe reinforcement of an idea if you didn't
understand concept or another place where you can make a connection that may
not have been apparent.  I believe it also helps the person that may take
the non-linear approach to the book (they tend to jump around instead of
reading from cover to cover).  Clicking on the links/references is also a
bonus.  If you like, you can also use the table of contents or the index in
addition to the inline references. You get multiple ways to reference pertinent
information.

I am a heavy user of the index and I find the index on some books lacking.
I know I saw XYZ subject or XYZ text somewhere but there was no reference to
it in the index.  This is one benefit of a pdf that I enjoy, "searchability."
I prefer a good old fashioned book, that I can hold in my hand but being able
to quickly locate information via a search is a real benefit.

W.