[antlr-interest] BindException on DEFAULT_DEBUGGER_PORT resp. endless loop with another port

Matthias Kiehl mattkiehl at tu-cottbus.de
Tue Mar 17 10:09:09 PDT 2009

Hey Guys,

I think I need your help for this. I'm trying to create a little test
application for my grammar (both attached to the mail) with ANTLR IDE
1.3 using Eclipse and getting the following error stack trace on execution:

java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at
org.antlr.runtime.debug.DebugEventSocketProxy.handshake(DebugEventSocketProxy.java:75)
	at SelectShortParser.<init>(SelectShortParser.java:169)
	at SelectShortParser.<init>(SelectShortParser.java:158)
	at Test.main(Test.java:24)

I asked Google for help and read that I should change the port, cause
the default port 49153 is used by another app - I asked netstat for
that, it's svchost.exe (I'm working with Vista Business).
No Problem I thought, just change the port - I used 49100. For now the
BindException doesn't appear, but my app seems to run in an endless loop.

Running the same grammar with the interpreter of ANTLR IDE or with
interpreter or debugger in ANTLRWorks everything seems correct, giving
me the expected AST.
Also everything is OK when I use a small sample grammar within Eclipse.

I hope you find or know something that helps me, so I can get my AST for
further work.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards,

Matthias