[antlr-interest] Documenting grammars

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Mon Mar 23 08:13:59 PDT 2009

Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So, we use doc-comments (/** */) in our grammars. However, as far as I
> can tell, there's no way to auto-process these and generate nice docs.
> Does anyone know of one?
>
> *If* the answer is no, I'm interested in using some of my spare time to
> create one. I've already looked into adapting the GPL source for javadoc
> and the standard doclet.
It would probably be easier/better to take the v3 grammar and write a
front end to doxygen, or optionally spit out a pseudo class that javadoc
can use. Perhaps we should really be making the DOC_COMMENT tokens go
through to the generated target. We would have to pass the token through
a function for the code generator target though so it could adapt it to
the target language. While /** xxx */ will work for most, it probably
does not work for all and I am not convinced that it is that useful in
the target language anyway (though I can see how class documentation is,
but that is already covered if you use separate lexer and parser
grammars which is an easy thing to do).

Jim