[antlr-interest] grammar checking/compilation fails on Windows but not on Linux

Filipe David Manana fdmanana at ieee.org
Wed Mar 25 09:28:36 PDT 2009

What do you mean with -X flag conversiontimeout?

Running "java -X" yields me:

"

  -Xmixed mixed mode execution (default)
  -Xint interpreted mode execution only
  -Xbootclasspath:<directories and zip/jar files separated by ;>
  set search path for bootstrap classes and resources
  -Xbootclasspath/a:<directories and zip/jar files separated by ;>
  append to end of bootstrap class path
  -Xbootclasspath/p:<directories and zip/jar files separated by ;>
  prepend in front of bootstrap class path
  -Xnoclassgc disable class garbage collection
  -Xincgc enable incremental garbage collection
  -Xloggc:<file> log GC status to a file with time stamps
  -Xbatch disable background compilation
  -Xms<size> set initial Java heap size
  -Xmx<size> set maximum Java heap size
  -Xss<size> set java thread stack size
  -Xprof output cpu profiling data
  -Xfuture enable strictest checks, anticipating future default
  -Xrs reduce use of OS signals by Java/VM (see documentation)
  -Xcheck:jni perform additional checks for JNI functions
  -Xshare:off do not attempt to use shared class data
  -Xshare:auto use shared class data if possible (default)
  -Xshare:on require using shared class data, otherwise fail.

The -X options are non-standard and subject to change without notice.
"

(for Java 6u7)

And "java -Xprof" gives me:

" Flat profile of 0.65 secs (60 total ticks): main

  Thread-local ticks:
  1.7% 1 Blocked (of total)
100.0% 59 Unknown: no last frame

Global summary of 0.65 seconds:
100.0% 60 Received ticks
 98.3% 59 Unknown code
"

That said, which command line parameters (and values) should I pass to java?

thanks

2009/3/25 Jim Idle <jimi at temporal-wave.com>

>  Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:
>
> Filipe David Manana wrote:
>

>  Hello,
>
> I am facing here something weird.
>
> I have a grammar which compiles fine under Linux (Ubuntu 64 bits, 4GB
> ram) and passes the grammar checking performed by AntlrWorks. (not even
> a single warning)
>
> On a Windows XP machine (32bits, 3GB ram) both the compilation and
> checking fail.
>
> The grammar file is accessible from http://code.google.com/p/jsdet/source/browse/trunk/src/grammars/JavaScript.g
>
> Can somebody tell me if passes on his/her AntlrWorks checking feature?
>

>    You probably need to set the -X flag conversiontimeout to a higher
> value for your slower machine. The value is an elapsed time because the JREs
> don't allow (or didn't earlier) a measurement of CPU used time. Hence on
> slower machines, a grammar that analyzes correctly on a fast machine can
> bail out on a slow system.
>
> Jim

> Unsubscribe:

Filipe David Manana,