[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.1.3 performance issue

Gerz, Michael Gerz at fgan.de
Fri Mar 27 05:02:51 PDT 2009

Hello everybody,

I tested ANTLR 3.1.3 this morning but it still has the same serious performance problem that was introduced shortly before the final release of ANTLR 3.1(.0).

For a grammar that is very similar to the Java 5 grammar (including tree grammar and string templates), the parsing time seems to grow quadratically with the input size. Thus, for a 750KB file, the parser performance becomes inacceptable.

I hope that this bug will be fixed in the near future. For the time being, it seems I have to revert to my pre-3.1 snapshot.

Is there any chance that this bug will be fixed eventually?

Best regards,

Michael

Dr. Michael Gerz
FGAN e.V.                                       Phone:  +49 228 9435-414
Department FKIE/ITF                             Fax:    +49 228 9435-685
Neuenahrer Straße 20                            E-Mail: gerz at fgan.de <mailto:gerz at fgan.de>
53343 Wachtberg-Werthhoven, Germany             WWW:    www.fgan.de <http://www.fgan.de/>

Forschungsgesellschaft für Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. M. Tacke (komm. Vors.), Prof. Dr. J. Ender (Stellv.)