[antlr-interest] ANTLR C: Question regarding the portability of generated lexer C code

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Sun Oct 18 01:38:42 PDT 2009

A couple of other things though on this now I think about it.

1)      To avoid problems with various systems ideas about what wide_t is, character strings are encoded in their ASCII hex forms – this would have to be avoided by encoding ‘C’ ‘h’ ‘a’ ‘r’

2)      Use ‘\n’ etc rather than unicode code points in your rules;

3)      Use 3.2 and ensure that you get switches generated for everything and not DFA tables;

I cannot immediately think of anything else that would get in the way. However, if you hack together anything then send me the changes you had to make as if they are reasonable then I am willing to add them to the C target J If the main thing is the encoding in ASCII form of string literals then it might be reasonable to add an ebcdic option to the command line and only those targets where it is an issue would look at it. I just don’t want to embark on huge changes just to accommodate IBM.

I am not sure how true it is or not, but a friend of mine worked for IBM in Florida and met a guy who was (or at least said he was) on the development committee for EBCDIC. He claimed that he had deliberately thrown in outrageous suggestions (but I don’t know if it was out of disgust or a bizarre sense of humor), and that some of them were adopted.

Anyway, you have my sympathies trying to work on the C stuff on zOS. I was pioneer on using it and I can only hope that it is more mature these days. If I can help you, then I will J

Jim