[antlr-interest] ANTLR AST vs Tree Grammar

Natan Vivo nvivo.misc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 04:50:05 PDT 2009

Hi Tommy,

Tree Grammars and ASTs are not competing in the same space. AST is just the
tree of nodes that represent your input. Tree Grammar is a grammar made
specifically to parse those  ASTs.

You usually use them to walk through an AST you already built, and do things
with it. Think about the multiple passes a compiler needs to go through to
generate the final binary. In the first pass, you use the parser and lexer
to understand the basic syntax and generate the AST, next you may need to
simplify some code, remove unnecessary instructions, set the type
information for variables, change the structure, or even output code in
another language.

Basically you may build as many tree grammars you need to do those passes,
and pipe them to produce the desired output.

The tree grammar looks like a parser grammar, but it actually uses node
types instead of tokens to identify the patterns, so they are not exactly
different grammars to parse the same thing.

Hope it helps.