[antlr-interest] dumbie question: Are there any examples of building antlr programs using different IDEs?

Jacob, Raymond CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC, 58420 raymond.jacob at navy.mil
Mon Oct 26 20:26:21 PDT 2009

I have a dumbie question regarding where can I find examples of how
to build an antlr program using different IDEs?

Background: I am not a java programmer.
I have read part of the antlr book by Terrence Parr.
I think I have gotten as far as the Chapter that use STL to build
programs. I can not
remember the exact chapter because I don't have the book
in front of me.
I did not say I understood everything in the book.
I think I understand a few of the examples.

An intern with more brain cells than I have left was developing
a program using netbeans. So I thought I would give netbeans a
try. That was about 5 months ago and I still have not figured
out how to use netbeans to build a grammar with like the examples
in the book. For instance, I can not figure out how to get the
IDE to use a separate file for a lexer-the file with the tokens instead
putting
all the tokens and the grammar in one file. As far as I can tell
in order to build a grammar in netbeans I need to know ant
and modify the build.xml to add the plug-in for antlr in netbeans.

I realize now that I would have been further along if I had
just used the command line instead of an IDE. But what has
not been done is done.

Question: Are there any IDEs that make it easy or natural to
build programs using the code in the Antlr reference
book? i.e. I want to focus on the code in the book and not the IDE.

If there are not any IDEs for the IDE challenged,
are there any examples of building antlr programs using different IDEs?

I apologize in advance for my ignorance.
When I searched the list my Google-fu was weak and I could not find
anything relevant.

Thank you again
rjjr