[antlr-interest] Conversion timeout and non-reproducible warnings

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Mon Sep 14 16:31:22 PDT 2009

Jim Idle wrote:
> If you are sure that the messages are not correct and the lexer rules
> are not ambiguous, then you probably need to increase the conversion
> timeout:
>
> -Xconversiontimeout 30000

Ah. I had not realised that this was a wall clock timeout. Perhaps that
explains why I occasionally get non-reproducible warnings when ANTLRWorks
is running slowly due to Windows being low on memory.

Perhaps the "timeout" should be based on some measure of work done rather
than wall clock time. That would at least ensure reproducibility for a
given grammar and ANTLR version.

I assume the units are milliseconds, but
<http://www.antlr.org/wiki/display/ANTLR3/Command+line+options>
does not document that, or what the default is.