[antlr-interest] Rule coverage testing

Micke Hovmöller micke.hovmoller at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 03:58:47 PDT 2009

I've written a reasonably large grammar for handling poker hand histories. I
have worked on and off for about a year or so on this. During this time, the
file format has changed slightly. I suspect that I now have a bunch of rules
in my grammar that are no longer used.

What are best practices for establishing rule coverage test cases? Ideally,
I want to have a bunch of infiles, run them through the grammar and have
output displaying which rules were never used. Showing frequency of usage
would be nice, but it is definitely not needed.

This is developed in NetBeans 6.7.1 with the ANTLR plugin, so anything that
runs in that environment is much preferred to any other solution, but I am
prepared to switch IDE if that is required.

/Micke