[antlr-interest] building antlr: feedback

James Briant jab.antlr at species.org
Thu Apr 1 10:28:31 PDT 2010

I spent several hours building antlr, which on the one hand is a tiny amount
of time to go from nothing to having a fully working parser generator :-)
Thank you all for creating this awesome software. I have some requests to
make it even easier:

1. Try building it from a fresh checkout (like I had to). I got errors below
(at the end of this email).
2. Can we distinguish Unit Tests from Functional Tests please?

Unit tests need to be *short* time-wise, so that developers are motivated to
run them every time they build. I gave up running the unit tests after about
10 minutes, and eventually had to delete the test folders entirely.

Functional Tests on the other hand can take as long as you like.

May I suggest using http://maven.apache.org/pom.html#Profiles to
differentiate between builds that are local and builds that are intended to
be pushed out to the world?

Thanks for listening,

Jamie

neutron:antlr-3.2 jamie$ mvn package
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   ANTLR Master build control POM
[INFO]   Antlr 3 Runtime
[INFO]   ANTLR Grammar Tool
[INFO]   Maven plugin for ANTLR V3
[INFO]
[INFO] Building ANTLR Master build control POM
[INFO]    task-segment: [package]
[INFO]
[INFO] [site:attach-descriptor]
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Antlr 3 Runtime
[INFO]    task-segment: [package]
[INFO]
[INFO] [buildnumber:create {execution: default}]
[INFO] Storing buildNumber: Mar 31, 2010 22:30:11 at timestamp:
1270099811460
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The scm url cannot be null.
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.NullPointerException: The scm url cannot be null.
at
org.apache.maven.scm.manager.AbstractScmManager.makeScmRepository(AbstractScmManager.java:181)
at org.codehaus.mojo.build.CreateMojo.getScmRepository(CreateMojo.java:722)
at org.codehaus.mojo.build.CreateMojo.getScmBranch(CreateMojo.java:593)
at org.codehaus.mojo.build.CreateMojo.execute(CreateMojo.java:452)
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:451)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:558)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:499)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:478)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:330)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:291)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:142)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:336)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:129)
at
at
[INFO]