[antlr-interest] Is ANTLR right for this....

James Carroll jamesdcarrollml at verizon.net
Mon Apr 19 10:43:50 PDT 2010

I've been wanting to learn ANTLR for awhile and have the book, but its
tough for me when I don't have something 'real' to work on.  I've
recently been added to two projects at work and was wondering if ANTLR
would be right for them, even if only to have something to work on.

The first is to take XML files that are written to a DTD and convert it
into Java. The XML defines like forms, controls, workflows, etc.

The second would be similar (but a totally different domain) in that
they want us to write the XML by hand, but I'd rather create a DSL so
that I'm not spending half my life opening and closing tags like we did
on the first one above.  The resluting XML would then be fed into a tool
that already exists and knows how to read it.

If both are possible (and assuming that my boss doesn't care which gets
done first) which would be the easiest/best to attack first?

Thanks